Monday, August 5, 2013

Brainstorm and Pizza

This past Saturday I went with my friend Cory to a show at Mia Roma in Kenmore and unexpectedly met up with many other friends from a dance class I take every Friday.  Chadd, whom I did intend to see, I knew from my weekly dance class.  He has a business restoring saxophones and is a marvelous musician (worldwidesax.com).  He performs with a group called Brainstorm who plays a vast array of cover songs. They were REALLY good. During one song I went out with a fellow dance enthusiast and we boogied up a storm.

Mia Roma's has some tremendous pizza of which I partook and couldn't finish it all.  They, like any good pizza place, gave me a pizza box to take home my half-eaten goodie.  While listening to the hoppin' music I was staring at this blank, white pizza box.  Blank, white anything makes me uneasy and fortune would have it that I am an artist.  So I brought out my pencil case and started sketching.  Something I forgot about sketching in public is that people are there and are curious.  By the end of my sketching I had been "Oooo-ed" and "Aaaaah-ed" at by about half the people in the small venue.  Then the box was flashed by about 10 cameras with exclamations of "OH MY GAWD THAT'S MEEE!" and passed around the whole room eventually to reach the band, where it stayed.  The box was held up by the lead singer and I was called out as the artist.  With a strange mix of pride and embarrassment, I waved my acknowledgement.  It's not great, but it was appreciated, so I am happy with it.

Thanks for playing, Brainstorm.  It was lovely to listen and swing to your music.  Thanks to you, Chadd, for inviting me and being an amazing Sax player.


No comments: